In my attempt to direct you to the best information on how to be proactive against coronaviruses I found that Dr. Mercola has done it again, and written a very timely article on how to be proactive against coronaviruses and build your immune system. I feel that this is an essential article and important to share with you. Hopefully the highlights mentioned below will lead you to download the article and read it in its entirety.
Everything below here is a synopsis of Dr. Mercola’s Article –High Heat May Kill the Coronavirus
Quoted from this article:
- “A recent Chinese investigation suggests COVID-19 is highly sensitive to high temperatures and spreads faster in colder climates; its most rapid spread is occurring at a temperature of 8.72 degrees Celsius (47.7 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Fever is a core mechanism by which your body fights viral infection. You can simulate a fever by raising your core body temperature in a sauna, steam bath, or by engaging in physical movement to induce sweating
- A number of studies have investigated the antiviral effects of sauna bathing. For example, a clinical study involving 50 volunteers showed regular sauna bathers had half the rate of common cold compared to nonusers. Those who use a sauna at least two or three times per week also have a lower risk of influenza and pneumonia
- Sauna use kills bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses and boosts your immune function by increasing white blood cell, lymphocyte, neutrophil and basophil counts. By elevating your core temperature your body also releases heat shock proteins that help block the replication of influenza viruses
- Coronaviruses (as a general group0) incubate in your sinuses for about three days before moving down into your lungs, and appears to be destroyed by temperatures around 133 degrees F (56 degrees Celsius), which can easily be reached in a sauna
- Saunas can produce the benefits of heat-shock proteins which were used by the World Health Organization during the SARS 3 epidemic in 2003.
Other potentially beneficial nutrients – partial list quoted from Dr. Mercola’s article – High Heat May Kill the Coronavirus:
- “Quercetin is a potent antiviral
- N-acetylcysteine (NAC) – encourages glutathione production, thins mucus, lowers your chances of influenza infection and reduces your risk of developing severe bronchitis.
- Elderberry extract – known to shorten influenza duration by two to four days and reduce the severity of the flu.
- Spirulina – reduces severity of influenza infection severity and lowers influenza mortality in animal studies. In a human trial, spirulina significantly lowered the viral load in patients with HIV infection.
- Beta-glucan – reduces severity of influenza infection severity and lowers influenza mortality in animal studies.
- Glucosamine – upregulates mitochondrial antiviral-signaling protein (MAVS), reduces severity of influenza infection severity and lowers influenza mortality in animal studies.
- Zinc – Zinc has been shown to inhibit coronavirus in vitro and block coronavirus replication in cell culture.
- Lipoic acid – Helps boost type 1 interferon response
- Sulforaphane – Helps boost type 1 interferon response”
Please go to the article for the provisional daily dosage suggestions to help control RNA viruses, including influenza and coronavirus infection.
Next installment (#5) will be what you can do if you have been exposed to COVID-19.